Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Decemberists Live at the Crystal Ballroom, 10-18-06




The Decemberists played to yet another sold out hometown show last night at the Crystal Ballroom. As the band took their places on stage Colin's opening proclamation of "We're gonna play some songs that haven't even been written yet" didn't come true, but the ones the band played made last night one of the most memorable shows I've seen in a while. The band were joined onstage by the recently added touring member Lisa Molinaro, of Talkdemonic, and she made quite a splash during the evening showcasing her multi-instrumental training on violin, accordion, guitar and even xylophone!

The band opened the show with the same opener from the night before, "The Crane Wife 3", the lead off track from their latest work, The Crane Wife. Next the band offered up the album's very prog-rock second track, "The Island" which proved to be a crowd favorite. What's funny is with as long as this song is, its still only two-thirds as long as "The Tain" which the band opted not to play this evening. The band then decided to bring out an older number, "We Both Go Down Together" which was simply amazing to hear live. The obligatory "Freebird" was yelled out by someone in the crowd around this time, so I guess the lesson here is that some things never grow old to some people. The band plodded along without even one errant guitar strain of "Freebird" being played, even in ironic jest to the heckler, as they launched into one of my favorites, "Engine Driver". I think the next song they played is one of Colin's favorites to play as he looked near manical on the near-disco heavy opening of "The Perfect Crime 2". His enthusiam definitely spilled over onto the crowd as by the end of it, everyone is singing along again. Even as big of a hit with the crowd as that was, "O' Valencia" probably had to be the most crowd pleasing song of the evening as nearly everyone I could see from my vantage point was dancing and singing along. It made the song even better live to see everyone enjoying it so much. Colin also looked like he really enjoyed playing this one as well. At this point someone in the audience hands Colin "The Biggest Origami Crane I've ever seen in my life" as he says and he makes a remark about Japan freaks coming out of the woodwork which drew laughs from the crowd. One of the songs I liked the most live was one I've not spent much time listening to on the album. The lights dimmed low for Colin as the opening chords of "Shankill Butchers" began. The song was amazingly powerful live and has since become one of my must repeats off the album. Mr Meloy's voice is perfect on this song, as it has been all night really, but I found this one especially moving due to the quietness of the song. It was about this time that I thought that the Chinese lanterns which were hung from the ceiling looked very much like the Eye(s) of Sauron. The song had a deeper meaner that night than it ever had for me before. I wish all of you could have been there to hear it. Another old one comes next, this time The Five Songs EP's "My Mother Was a Chinese Trapeze Artist". While I count myself fortunate to hear this song on tonight's playlist, I would have also loved to have heard "Angel, Won't You Call Me?" from the same but there are only so many songs a band can do in one night. I think there may have been another song played before "Yankee Bayonet" but due to my notes getting wet (and a little inebriation from the show) I cannot say for sure. If anyone knows feel free to drop me a line and I'll correct it. "Bayonet" however becomes a masterpiece played live. It's a song that is pure Decemberists from start to finish.

The Decemberists certainly have to be one of the best bands playing today in terms of lyrical quality, instument mastery and most definitely in the creativity department, at least in this writer's opinion. With their set winding down, they launch into "The Crane Wife 1 and 2". The chorus "and the winter's so long..." has me dreading the winter weather that will soon be the norm in Portland until spring comes again. The crowd seems to especially like this song, as they seem oblivious to any cares as the band plays and they dance. During Part 2 all I can think of for some reason again is the lanterns as the Eye(s) of Sauron. This song could not have sounded better or been played at a better time in the show.

What can you say about this setlist so far? There's been quite a nice mix of old and new tonight, a little for everyone. I do wish I had heard "July, July", but hey, to hear the new amazement that is "Sons and Daughters" live made the night perfect. From the first time I heard this one I knew it was going to be a crowd favorite and in that respect it did not disappoint one iota. As the opening stains drifted into the crowd, you could feel the energy building towards the majestic crescendo of the song, as if this were what the entire night had been building up to. The crowd singing along with this one was quite stirring, adding even greater depths to the vocal trade-offs of Colin and Jenny during the closing refrains. I always find myself getting a bit nervous at the Ballroom, due to the creaky floors; the fact that there were 1500+ people stomping on the floor in rhythm during this song didn't make me feel any safer, but thankfully the flooring held and the show went on.

For their encore, the group played a rousing version of "16 Military Wives" which found the crowd ecstatic, singing louder than they had all night for this one. "Legionnaire's Lament" sounded really spectacular live, being one I had only heard from bootlegs before. The band closed with "A Cautionary Song" which had the evening ending as magically as it had began. All in all, a fantastic show from start to finish. Anyone who might be on the fence about seeing this band on this tour should put aside any assumptions about corporate selling out or misgivings about the mroe prog-rock songs on this album and buy tickets now. The shows are gonna sell out, so get your tickets now to what will be one of the best shows you'll see all year.

Here's the Setlist:

The Crane Wife 3
The Island
We Both Go Down Together
Engine Driver
Perfect Crime #2
Odalisque
O Valencia!
Shankill Butchers
My Mother Was a Chinese Trapeze Artist
* (there may have been a song here, notes were unreadable)
Yankee Bayonet
Culling of the Fold
The Crane Wife 1
The Crane Wife 2
Sons and Daughters

ENCORE:

16 Military Wives
The Legionnaire's Lament
A Cautionary Song

For any of you who might not be friends with them yet, join them on Myspace, and don't forget to visit their homepage and buy some albums!

The live blog coverage of the tour continues with The Owl Mag.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"engine driver" is also one of my favorites. but i think my most favorite of theirs is "red right ankle", which i heard the last time they were in dallas. yaye!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great show! Makes me wish I had booked a flight to Portland!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you don't know me.

I was searching google for a bootleg recording of this show, and I stumbled on this post of yours.

Perhaps you won't believe me, but I can assure you this is the truth: My friends and I made the giagantic paper crane to give to Collin. That was the highlight of the evening for us! We had to get in line so early to assure us a spot up front!

Worth every second.