Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mahogany



Mahogany's Connectivity is without a doubt my favorite album of the moment. Its one of those ones you throw on, expecting something fairly typical and solid, but are blown away within a few songs and then you find yourself repeating more and more tracks before the whole thing has even finished playing through the first time. It wasn't really all that hard to pick the track I wanted to post. I just picked the one I had listened to the most, lol. Otherwise it would have been quite tough. I mean, its like choosing a beer. There's all manner of good ones out there, and picking a favorite may sometimes just be the one you choose for that night's festivities only. So I was forced to go with the one I had put on repeat the most.

There is a bit of story behind the release of this album. The band had their studio broken into and most of their equipment was stolen. Along with the equipment went some of the demos for the eventual Connectivity. Its a shame things like that have to happen, but if the experience in any way helped make Connectivity what it is, then everything must happen for a reason. I cannot recommend this album highly enough. it has everything you could want. It really is as good as the hype that's already going around about the album. One of the things I like best about this album is the number of different influences you can hear on the album. Everything from tweepop to shoegaze to casiopop make their way onto the album, so you're bound to find something you like on it I know. So here's my current fave, I hope you like it:

MP3: Mahogany - Neo-Plastic Boogie Woogie

Oh and the group had Robin Guthrie producing and even guesting on some tracks! How cool is that? As always, be sure to join them as friends on myspace, and go to either their homepage or to Darla records to buy the album! While you're there don't forget to pick up their first release The Dream of a Modern Day and their compilation of early and rare material, Memory Column, both available from Darla!

And here's the video for the song as well:

BONUS VIDEO:

No comments: