Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I Was a King



I Was a King may be the most amazing unsigned band I've heard lately. In fact, without a doubt in my opinion they are simply the best unsigned band of the year. The strength of the 8 songs on Remove the Crown cannot be underestimated, nor can they be refused their chance to be heard. This band may be the heirs apparent to the Pyschedelic Folk-Pop/Rock that the Elephant 6 Collective endeared to so many during the 90's and beyond. I have to say that I would put this album up there with any of the lesser bands of the genre (can we call E-6 a genre of its own now?) and would even go so far as to put it up against a few of the early works by the major bands involved. I know, I know, some of you will cry foul at my insinuation that this is the next NMH, Apples or OTC, but that's not the case at all. I Was a King can stand on their own without any of those names above, but they do provide one hell of a starting reference point What this album is then, is one insanely good piece of country/psychedelic folk-rock that could certainly share the shelf beside any of the E-6 works in your collections. trust me when I say you that if you lvoe any E-6 bands at all that you are going to love this album. Here's some songs so that you don't think I am completely off base with all my praise:

MP3: I Was a King - Across the Ocean

MP3: I Was a King - I Need Glasses

MP3: I Was a King - Make It Clear

Here is the band's Myspace and their homepage.

No comments: