Monday, September 18, 2006

Phil Avalos and the Quiet Lanes




Don't you hate when you wait too long to listen to something and then end up berating yourself all day for procrastinating so long? That's how Phil Avalos and the Quiet Lanes made me feel today. I let them sit in my myspace friend requests for over two weeks before taking a listen. WOW. I gotta make more time in the future for bands that send friend requests, at least ones like Phil's. Their myspace name drops a motherload of indie rock bands that have influenced them (and countless others), Superchunk, Knapsack, GBV, Ted Leo, Husker Du, Pixies, you know all the usual ones. But what struck me the most, and kept me on the their page, was Polvo. Yeah Polvo. Nobody cites them as an influence! So of course, they had me hooked at Polvo (now if I can just find someone who cites Picasso Trigger...). Their sound reminds me a lot of the 'Chunk and Knapsack. Which stands to reason, cuz Knapsack reminds me of Superchunk, lol. So, here's some songs off their first two releases. You can find a couple others on the myspace page here. Be sure to drop by here and order an album or three.

MP3: Phil Avalos and the Quiet Lanes - Rocket Arms

MP3:
Phil Avalos and the Quiet Lanes - She Says

As a bonus today, I am including a couple songs by Superchunk and Knapsack.

BONUS MP3: Superchunk - Ribbon (my absolute favorite Superchunk song!)

BONUS MP3: Knapsack - Casanova

Buy Superchunk albums and merchandise here (I highly recommend Crowding Up Your Visual Field)

Buy Knapsack albums here.


No comments: