Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Doldrums and How to Get out of them...



So I've pretty much been lax the last few weeks on posting anything. I've started dozens of posts and do intend to finish them, but I just haven't felt inspired enough to post anything until today. Wow. That's all I can say about today's post. In case you don't recognize the guy in the photo, it is one Graham Smith of the late (great) Kleenex Girl Wonder. KGW has always held a near-mythical status for me, somewhere on the level of a NMH, a GbV, or even of say, The Pixies. Now, of these three bands KGW owes allegiance to Guided By Voices the most. Graham's recording of Ponyoak in his dorm room in the lo-fiest (is this even a word???) of lo-fi studios (his computer, lol) harkens to a modern day digital age Bob Pollard than anything. the fact that his songs are AMAZING like Mr. Pollard's is only icing on the cake. If you do not own Ponyoak I suggest heading over to Ebay or even better to March Records (though the album is out of print at the moment) and checking out the digital downloads currently available from their zerooneinfinity label. To showcase how much of a freak I was back in the day for KGW, I dropped something like 40 dollars for the Ponyoak Bonus EP which was an import form Japan at the time. That was the first thing I ever purchased online, lol. Seeing Mr Smith appear alongisde Barcelona at the Galaxy Hut in Arlington, VA has been one of my fondest concert memories. The Peach (or was it Pear, I don't remmber anymore) beer they were serving there made that night all the more special.... For your listening, here's some of the songs up on Graham's myspace. Download these and head over there to become a friend.

MP3: Graham Smith - HDTV

MP3: Graham Smith - High Tech Computer

No comments: