Friday, July 21, 2006

The School of (Wizard) Rock!


So since Harry and the Potters zipped through PDX along with Draco and Malfoys on their Nimbus 2000s this week (though I missed both shows) I've been delving into this growing world of bands with Harry Potter fixations. I would never have thought that this sub-genre would have so many adherents to it. But then again the Harry Potter books are quite popular, and I have to say, it seems to go well with indiepop bands. Any examination of these bands and this growing scene (dare I call it that?) would have to start with Harry and the Potters, so here goes:


MP3: Harry and the Potters - Song for the Death Eaters (my personal fave)

MP3: Harry and the Potters - Save Ginny Weasley

MP3: Harry and the Potters - The Blood of a Prince

Join Harry and Potters on myspace here and their homepage here.

Any good protagonist needs a good antagonist, maybe the same thing applies to bands like these as well. Draco and the Malfoys are up next with some songs told from the other side of the fence. I have to admit, I find the Dracos' lyrics a bit more entertaining than the Potters for some reason.

MP3: Draco and the Malfoys - Potions Yesterday

MP3: Draco and the Malfoys - Broomstick

MP3: Draco and the Malfoys - My Dad Is Rich

Befriend the Malfoys here and check their site here.

The Whomping Willows showcase another facet of taking the Harry Potter books and mixing in some awesome indie rock and pop with songwriting. This band is a bit rockier than the others at times, but good stuff none the less.

MP3: The Whomping Willows - I Killed My Owl

MP3: The Whomping Willows - Your Flying Car

The Whomping Willows are looking for new friends here.

Last but not least today is the Hermione Crookshanks Experience. This one gets my vote just on the band name alone. The fact that the songs that Kristin writes are entertaining and quite good just makes it all the better. I think S.P.E.W. Anthem is my favorite as it makes me laugh outloud.

MP3: The Hermione Crookshanks Experience - Ronald Weasley

MP3: The Hermione Crookshanks Experience - SPEW Anthem

Check out her myspace to become a friend and hear some more tunes here.

Check all of the bands' myspace accounts for a few additional songs for download if you like what you heard, go buy some albums and help out the Wizard Rock Movement.

No comments: