Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The Galactic Heroes




The next few days I am going to post about some of the great bands from Portland. To kick off summer here's another great band that's custom made for summer-time listening, The Galactic Heroes (though not all the members of this band call Portland home). There are several reasons I can give for why I love this band but the biggest (next to their sound) is the fact that their name comes from one of my favorite video games of all time, Galaga. You see, I am completely obsessed with Galaga and find it irresistible to drop a quarter into its slots whenever I am near one. That's kind of how this band is to me. I find it hard to stop listening to them once I start. Their music is addictive in that teeth cringing syrupy-sweet way that Kool-Aid is when you've added too much sugar. You can't quite put the cup down once you start taking a big swig of it until its all gone and you have to get another glass. That's what the Galactic Heroes are like when you listen to them. Hopefully this year or the next will see a new release from them.

MP3: The Galactic Heroes - These Days

MP3:
The Galactic Heroes - Coffee and Pastries

MP3:
The Galactic Heroes - Cherokee

Join them on their myspace and buy their records from here. Also check out their home page as there are tons more mp3s there.

No comments: