Monday, June 12, 2006

The Shy Magnolias




Since this is my first post I wanted to start out with one of my favorite songs I've heard all year (and 2006 has had a bumper crop of great tunes already, of which I will no doubt share shortly on this site). This is from a UK band called the Shy Magnolias whose only output I have been able to find so far comes from their myspace page. The sound of "Whisper Hallelujah" would probably best be described as Teenage Fanclub and the Beach Boys being reimagined by Kevin Shields. Their myspace namedrops the usual musical influences for a band involved in making one of the best shoegaze songs I've heard this year, MBV, Olivia Tremor Control, JAMCo, Mogwai, Elephant 6 bands, the Kinks, the Beach Boys. If that's not reason enough to download this, then you'll probably not like any of the songs you find posted to Snow Globe Universe, as shoegaze is hands down my favorite music style. I am rather fanboyishly awaiting an ep or (dare I hope) perhaps a full-length attraction from these fellows in the coming year. How about it Magnolias, when's the earliest we could expect a proper release, or at least some additional myspace lovage? Without further ado, the reason you're here in the first place:

MP3: The Shy Magnolias - Whisper Hallelujah

No comments: