Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Catastrophes



The Catastrophes will mark the first Norwegian band here on the blog (and one the first band with a garage sound). I wish I actually had some info on this band but all attempts to contact them for some 411 have failed miserably. English is such a barrier at times.... Anyways, here's what their myspace has to say about them:

"Once upon a time there was a little kid who grew tired of a boring and hopeless life in a cold and dark land called Norway. He spent his days drinking and dreaming of a better tomorrow. He decided to quit school at 18, and moved to London the 1st of january 2005. After earning some money playing at pubs, things started to get better for the lad. Only to be kicked out of his home in Manresa Road shortly after. He stayed with his good friend Paul and slept on his the floor for three weeks. He didn't have much money and his clothes were dirty and cold, but the whisky kept him warm in Aldgate East. No girl could love such a catastrophe and United lost and lost in the Premiership. "If I'm ever going to start a band it has to be called Catastrophes", the boy thought, looking at his empty bottle of scotch. He started to write songs and moved back to Bergen and Norway. On a dark night in late september he met 3 other lost souls and they drowned their sorrows in whiskey and gin. Catastrophes is about broken hearts, shattered dreams and rock 'n' roll. But it's also a tale about friendship and hope."

Hmmm, sounds pretty good to me. If that's not enough to get you to check out their songs, I don't know what will. They have a sound like maybe a tamer Strokes. Lots of melody and great harmonies on their songs, which are great garage rockers mixed with an almost britpop sound. This is music for driving in your car for sure and I'll bet this band is a hell of a lot of fun to see live.

MP3: The Catastrophes - Kings of Rock 'n' Roll

MP3: The Catastrophes - No Tomorrow

MP3: The Catastrophes - Easier if You Killed Me (my fave track)

TagsZ: mp3 twee indiepop

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey!

Love to see you comment our band! I'm the drummer, and the contactperson of the band, so if you want some info you could just send me a mail!

Great!

Gloppestad@yahoo.no

If you ever gonna send me a mail, mark it with something band-related, Then I will see if it's a really person, and not a company that want to make my penis big:-)

Hope my English is good enough!

Anonymous said...

hmm...why do I have to type here?