Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Special Needs



So I was rummaging around looking for something new to listen to and ran across the search terms indie, pop, and surf which in turn led me to The Special Needs' myspace. Now that's a combination one doesn't see everyday. So naturally I had to track down some songs by this band. And its quite-fucking-good. Really fucking good to be honest. The more I hear their songs the more I like both the band and their sound. Its sort of weird in a way, and quite a shame they've broken up. Sure there's been plenty of great bands that have mixed rock and surf, I mean The Pixies, and the Jesus and Mary Chain for fuck's sake; but there are also tons I never want to have to hear again that have dabbled in mixing surf and more standard rock sounds. Most of which no one wants to recall, I know I didn't feel like looking for any (I was gonna name drop Los Straitjackets, but then I remembered I rather liked their debut album). But back to the band at hand. As their myspace page says this album almost did not get released. Internal band squabbles and being dropped from their label led to a decision not to release the album. Luckily Re-Action Recordings Ltd decided the album was too important to be doomed to obscurity and unrelease. Here's a few songs to hopefully convince you to check out the album. Its a great album, lots of hooks, lots of surf-inflected songs and plenty of poppy song topics. Pick it up, you won't be disappointed.

MP3: The Special Needs - Sylvia

MP3: The Special Needs - Blue Skies

MP3: The Special Needs - Girl From the Launderette

MP3: The Special Needs - Time to Remember

Their myspace, their homepage.



TagsZ: mp3 twee indiepop

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A time to remember. Should have been the best Christmas song since the Pogues and Kirsty! Fantastic songs by a fantastic band who surely would have been headlining festivals in 2007.