Thursday, August 03, 2006

Windmill




Sometimes music comes to you from out of nowhere and hits you like a brick. You hear something that just feels all at once overwhelming and powerful and makes perfect sense but is confusing to you all at once. Its a lot like a car accident, your world changes, if even for a brief moment and you find yourself a bit unsure of just what really happened and exactly where and what is going on. Windmill, is the project of a 26 year old Englishman named Matthew Thomas Dillon. I've seen his vocal style compared to everyone from Wayne Coyne and Neil Young to Jonathon Donahue, and while those are probably good starting points, I still feel that who I am hearing just will not come to me. And that's great. Its part of why hearing something new is so amazing. The song I am posting has eaten up a lot of time today on repeat. This track, Racing is a song full of dichotomy, at once it sounds sullen and energetic, melancholic and wistful, joyous and remorseful. I lose sight somewhat of just which adjectives to use to describe something that simply has to be heard to be understood. I rather regret this post in some ways because I am gushing so much over it. All that I can say is that I've found a wide range of emotion in this one song, more so than many songs I've known for years that I would call an old friend. This most auspicious of debuts has me wondering what else this bright young man has in store for the world and what I say will be a growing legion of fans in the future. I hope that each of you who visits this site, if you download just one song from here, let it be this one. I cannot recommend it enough to you. I hope after you have listened to it, you'll think of it as an old friend the way I already do.

MP3: Windmill - Racing

This song comes from Windmill's 7-inch Racing/Tokyo Moon due out on September 11th from Static Caravan Records. Join Matthew on his myspace here and be sure to preorder the 7-inch here.

No comments: